Breastfeeding Classes


What should a breastfeeding class cover ?  How do you know if the one you have 
picked is any good . Here are some questions to ask beforehand ... 

Do you cover the following ? 
  • How breastfeeding works
  • How to establish a good milk supply
  • How to get my baby to latch
  • How to know if my  baby is getting enough milk
  • Positions for breastfeeding (laid back breastfeeding is a one way to breastfeed , not the only way ..) 
  • When and where to get help should you need it . 
  •  this isn't my  first breastfeeding experience that i will leave knowing  where to  do things differently next time.  
     A couple of other pointers 
  • It lasts longer than 1 hour and theres lots of discussion . 
  • Its not just telling you about hospital policy and is full of tips .
  • Dads are encouraged to attend but its ok not to bring him too !  .  
  • The instructor is an IBCLC and knows the hospitals in the area.  
  • The instructor doesnt turn on a dvd and leave the room . 
  • The instructor is not advertising one particular product - there is a variety of recommendations with honest feedback . 
  • You see lots and lots of breastfeeding (either on a good dvd or a real life mum and baby ).I always recommend going to a Cuidiu or LLL meeting before to see normal breastfeeding. 
  • You have a comprehensive set of notes/booklet which covers all the topics in the class and finally 

You leave knowing where to get help if you need it. 
Hopefully learning the basics, having a positive attitude and being with others will be enough to get breastfeeding off to a good start for you. But if it doesn't happen and you do need  help, you should know when and where to get help .Mums from my class know where to get help - they also know that Im available to them at any stage for quick questions or priority on homevisits . 

Some feedback from recent Breastfeeding Support Class attendees 



Biggest thing for me about the course was the confidence it gave me. Am very proud to have exclusively breastfed for the first six months and have no plans to stop anytime soon. It is a relationship that is working very well for both me and my daughter. Thank you.


I loved that my partner  was able to come to the class. He has been such excellent support all along the pregnancy and for him to gain the information first hand has helped no end in the past nearly three weeks in my continued bfing. Thank you so much Nicola for all the help and information.


The class was totally neccessary but i also appreciated the time you took on day 2 out of hospital to answer my queries and ease my fears. It has been a great experience and we were so prepared as a couple for breastfeeding. We used your tip about bringing in a spoon/syringe to feed our baby in the case of a C section which I did have to have without much notice. It was brilliant and a great way for my husband to start with feeding. Thank you for all your help and support.


I would without hesitation recommend this class to anyone. I am pretty sure that I would have given up breastfeeding on the second night in the hospital if I hadnt brought in my handouts and I kept rereading them for the night while my son fed constantly while all the bottle fed babies were sleeping soundly in the nursery so their mammys could get a decent nights sleep! While I found the breast feeding support group great for meeting people I have to say I found the advice pretty rubbish so was delighted I had done this course.


Just a big thank you to you for helping my breastfeeding experience go so well. Was lucky that I didn't have to seek additional help after baby was born but i feel that was due to the very thorough course and comprehensive notes.


The class was very useful and great to have the booklet to hand to consult in the early days. It was good to know what was normal & what wasn't and the practical information about medication and storing expressed milk were excellent. Your lactation consultant service was even more invaluable, so you should definitely promote it/share testimonials about it in the class. I needed it and I credit it with a successful breastfeeding experience. The extra cost is worth it for the benefits! My happy, healthy 10 month old thanks you!



1 comment:

Lorenzo said...

interesting, modern day people have to relearn old trades