Preparing For Breastfeeding ...Is it possible ?

Every so often I hear somebody say "there is no possible way to prepare for breastfeeding , you can only learn once you have a baby in your arms !"  
If we lived in culture where we learned about breastfeeding as we grew up then there would be very little need for breastfeeding classes or finding out more before your baby is born . But we don' t , we live in a society where breastfeeding is not considered important by the majority . 
So what are  my tips for getting ready for breastfeeding ? 
1) Invest as much time and energy as you can to breastfeeding as you give to Labour and birth.  One lasts a whole lots longer than the other ...  One hour at an antenatal class is not enough . 

·     2)  It’s a great idea to spend some time with a breastfeeding mother or 
·      attend a breastfeeding Support group before your baby is born .  The best Irish groups are linked here 
      Cuidiu ,
      La Leche League ,
      Friends of Breastfeeding  . 





      

·      3) Watch videos online of babies latching  . 
      Breastfeeding New Zealand has a great series on You Tube . Here is the latching one          
      Biological Nurturing /LaidBack Breastfeeding - Here 
      Breastfeeding Inc - Dr Jack Newnams Video Series-  Here 
        

        4) Read Read Read 

          Recommended Books : 

  • Breastfeeding Made Simple by Nancy Morbacher and  Kathleen Kendall Tackett.
  • The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding – La Leche League International , Diana West, Diane Weissinger , Teresa Pitman. 8th  Edition.
  • The Breastfeeding Mothers Guide to Making More Milk . Diana West IBCLC , Lisa Marasco IBCLC
  •  What Every Parent Needs to Know: The incredible effects of love, nurture and play on your child's development . Margot Sutherland.
  • The Food of Love , Kate Evans .

            Recommended websites : 

       Those who have been to my class will have heard my anecdote about my first                 breastfeeding support group . I wonder if I had not gone along to that,  if i would have been able to breastfeed ?  I got no help from the hospital staff when my baby wouldn't latch following a ventouse birth  - so I rang a  Cuidiu breastfeeding counsellor at 7am ! 
     I will always be eternally grateful to her for helping me that morning .  I know that ten minute call was all i needed to believe that I could do it .We never looked back . That cousellor was also an IBCLC . She used to show me her certificate , framed beautifully  on the wall and say  it was her proudest academic achievement . I think the seed was sewn then for my future career!  So thank you , Paula . x 
      Had I been to a class i would have known about hand expression ,skin to skin and that a non latching baby does not mean the end of breastfeeding . 


      My class is held once a month on a Wednesday morning . Bookings are open up to 24 hours before  each class , although early booking is recommended if numbers are high 
       **Information on upcoming classes www.breastfeedingsupport.ie/classes ** 

From the Best for Babes site :


 One of the biggest keys to succeeding at breastfeeding is to set your head for a learning curve experience. Learning to breastfeed is no different than learning to swim, knit or sing: there may be bumps along the way, but keep your eye on the prize and before you know it, you’ll be doing great! 

No comments: