Happy New Year everyoneI'm looking back at the year and feel very happy about it . This time last year I was starting back after maternity leave with my 5th baby . She is now 21 months old and a very independent little lady. I suspect this may be her last few months of breastfeeding , I will find it very hard not to be a breastfeeding mother anymore ..... I really dont want to think about it !
Highlights of 2011 for me were : (not in any particular order )
|Purple Hearts Awards for Bravery in Breastfeeding .|
This year I decided to send out purple heart awards to mums who went that extra mile and hung in there despite awful hurdles . Some lasted weeks feeding , some months - thats not the point really, I am constantly astonished by their determination and courage. You all know who you are !
- Getting lots of Dads to come along to the breastfeeding prep class . It makes such a difference and they contribute so much to the great atmosphere .It also really helps that they know their stuff during the early days at home .
- The huge success of the tongue tie and Breastfeeding Seminar in September .
- Meeting Catherine Watson Genna and Diana West . Two of my heros.
- All my exam prep students passing their IBCLC exam in July. Not passing either - we had some excellent high scores too.
- Having an excellent paediatrician Dr Justin Roche in Clonmel to refer babies who were having problems breastfeeding because of tongue tie . He is truly a wonderful doctor and his secretary and coworkers in Clonmel are the best ! I am so grateful for this service.
- Becoming the breastfeeding expert on www.eumom.ie . They are a lovely team .
- Really feeling like things are changing here in Ireland . There are wonderful support groups now - something for everyone ....online or in person . We had a fantastic National Breastfeeding Week in October - probably one of the best ever :)